Operation Midland: Paedophile ring complainant could face charges after force inquiry

A man who claimed he had been raped and abused over a nine-year period by a paedophile ring at the heart of Westminster could face charges after an investigation by Northumbria Police.

Sep 7, 2017

A man who claimed he had been raped and abused over a nine-year period by a paedophile ring at the heart of Westminster could face charges after an investigation by Northumbria Police. The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) says it has received a file from the force about the man, who has legal anonymity and is referred to only as “Nick”. The accusations by the claimant led to the launch of Operation Midland, which closed in 2016 without any charges. The CPS said evidence that a person had perverted the course of justice and committed fraud were being considered. In a statement, Northumbria Police said it had concluded the investigation on behalf of the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS). “We can confirm on September 4 a file was passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for them to make a decision on whether or not there would be any charges in relation to the investigation,” it said. “To date, nobody has been arrested in connection with the investigation.” The CPS confirmed receipt of the file, adding: “Our prosecutors will consider the evidence with a view to making a charging decision in line with the Code for Crown Prosecutors.” Earlier this week it emerged the MPS reportedly paid the widow of former Home Secretary Leon Brittan and an ex-Armed Services head £100,000 each in compensation after heavy criticism of its historical child abuse investigations. Lady Brittan and peer Lord Bramall both had their homes raided during the investigation. A review found there had been “numerous errors” and the Independent Police Complaints Commission opened an investigation into a detective chief inspector and two junior detectives over allegations they may have misled a district judge in order to obtain search warrants. Former MPS Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe apologised to those named during the inquiry, while Lord Bramall spoke of his anger that his wife died before he had been cleared. Lady Brittan hit out after it emerged the MPS decided her husband had no case to answer but failed to tell him before he died of cancer. Operation Midland began in November 2014 after Nick, a man in his 40s, claimed he was abused for nine years from 1975 – when he was seven – to 1984. The MPS spent almost 18 months examining claims that senior politicians and other public figures had sexually assaulted children in the 1970s and 1980s. It was also alleged that three boys had been murdered.

Related News

Copyright © 2021 Police Professional