MPS appeal over ‘unintentional’ police shooting 

Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) detectives are trying to piece together the circumstances that led to a suspect being accidentally shot by officers.

Feb 10, 2019
By Website Editor

A female called the police at just before 4am on Saturday (February 9) saying that a woman was being held against her will by a group of males at a pub in South London. She told the call handler that a firearm had been seen. 

Officers attended and during the stop of a car that had been driven a short distance from the pub, a man believed to be in his 20s was shot by armed response officers. 

The MPS said a police firearm was “unintentionally discharged”. 

The man was taken to a south London hospital where his injuries were assessed as non-life threatening and not life-changing. 

He was arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment, possession of a firearm and possession of an offensive weapon but remains in hospital. 

Another 21-year-old man in the car was also arrested and has subsequently been charged with possession of a bladed article and will appear in custody at South East London (Bromley) Magistrates’ Court on Monday (February 11). 

When officers went to the Anchor pub on Lewisham Road, five other males were arrested but a search failed to locate a woman. They have since been released under investigation. 

Detectives from the MPS’s South East CID are appealing for information and for the woman, who originally reported the incident but only gave a first name, to contact them again. 

In a statement, the MPS said: “They are urging the female who called police at around 3.55am on Saturday morning from a phone box on Morden Hill, just off Lewisham Road, to make contact again by calling 101 quoting CAD 3359/9Feb. 

“Detectives also want to hear from anyone who was in the Anchor pub in the early hours of Saturday morning and from anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area at that time.” 

Detective Chief Inspector Stanyer of South East CID added: “Detectives are working hard to fully understand this incident and our enquiries are at an early stage. 

“It is vital that we hear again from the original caller in this case. Officers, including armed police, rightly deployed urgently to the area following her phone call, and this has resulted in a number of searches and seven people being arrested.  

“Whatever the circumstances of the call, it is important that this female calls police again as soon as possible.”

Related News

Select Vacancies

PIP2 Detective Constables

Cambridgeshire Constabulary

JOU RPU Forensic Collision Investigator

Hampshire Constabulary & Thames Valley Police Joint Ops Unit

Copyright © 2019 Police Professional