Manchester bomber`s brother faces trial in Libya over the attack

The brother of the Manchester Arena bomber will reportedly go on trial in Libya in the next two months in connection with the attack.

Aug 31, 2017

The brother of the Manchester Arena bomber will reportedly go on trial in Libya in the next two months in connection with the attack. Hashem Abedi was arrested in Tripoli shortly after the atrocity was carried out by his brother Salman leaving 22 people dead. Libya’s chief investigator Asadiq Al Sour told the BBC he had been questioned “several times” and that the authorities there believe he played a key role in the attack. The brothers` father, Ramadan Abedi, has been released, but told to remain in Libya in case police have any further questions. Mr Al Sour said: “All the signs point to Hashem being directly involved and collecting the materials for the suicide bombing that took a lot of innocent lives in Manchester.” When asked if Hashem Abedi would go on trial in Libya this year, he answered: “Of course, all the investigations will be completed in two months at most, anything needed by the general prosecutor will be ready for the court.” The authorities in Libya have reportedly also detained another relative of the Abedi brothers – Mohamed Yunis Abedi. They say his credit card was used to buy ingredients for the bomb – and they have given British police a list of others in the UK who should be questioned. “These people should be questioned to get more information about the suspects, their movements, their ideologies or if there was any sign they were going to carry out the attack,” the prosecutor added. “They are not necessarily suspects themselves, but it’s important to get information from them.”

Related News

Select Vacancies

Chief Inspector

Nottinghamshire Police

Promotion to Sergeant

Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Alliance

Copyright © 2021 Police Professional