IOPC launches investigation after man shot by police
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has launched an inquiry into a police shooting in Hull.
A 35-year-old man remains in a serious condition after being wounded by Humberside Police firearms officers just after 1am on Sunday (December 15).
The officers had been responding to reports of a man in possession of a firearm.
IOPC Interim Regional Director Dave Ford said: “We have begun an independent investigation following a police shooting in Hull. The man remains in hospital where he is being treated for serious injuries.
“We attended the scene and the police post-incident procedures on Sunday and have today (December 17) confirmed that this will be independently investigated.
“The investigation is at an early stage, but we can confirm that we are securing footage of the incident and we will be independently reviewing this over the coming days. We will also gather accounts from all police officers and staff directly involved as part of our evidence gathering.
“Our thoughts remain with everyone affected by this incident.”
Humberside Police Deputy Chief Constable Chris Rowley said: “Officers were deployed to the area after a report was received that a man was in the street and believed to be in possession of a firearm.
“The man was shot by police during the incident and is currently in hospital in a critical but stable condition. There were no other injuries sustained by anyone.
“A mandatory referral has been made to the IOPC.
“We are still in the very early stages of the investigation, however, we do not believe this incident to have any terrorism connection or links.
“Our thoughts are with the family of the man and also with those officers who were involved in the incident. In incidents like this our officers have to make very difficult decisions in very difficult circumstances.”