German police have arrested a 28-year-old man suspected of carrying out the attack on the Borussia Dortmund football team bus last week that injured a police officer and one of the players.
Blasted: Borussia Dortmund bus
Prosecutors have dismissed terror links to the atrocity – instead suggesting the suspect had been "speculating" on the football club’s share price.
There was no extremist background to the crime, they said.
The man is facing charges of causing an explosion and grievous bodily harm.
Investigators said that on the day of the attack the suspect had bought 15,000 put options on Borussia Dortmund shares.
He used the IP address of L’Arrivée, the Dortmund hotel where the team was staying.
Minutes after the players left the hotel for a Champions League match with French side AS Monaco, the team bus was hit by three explosions.
The suspect apparently speculated that Borussia Dortmund’s shares would fall in the aftermath of the blast.
Shares closed the day three per cent down following the attack on April 12.
Dortmund centre back Marc Bartra suffered a fractured arm and shrapnel wounds, while a police officer, who had been escorting the team bus to the stadium, suffered blast trauma.
The devices were packed with shards of metal, one of which embedded itself in the headrest of one of the seats in the bus. The first and third bombs went off as planned, but the second, which had been placed a metre above the ground, exploded over the bus, missing its target.
The suspect, who German media reported as having dual German and Russian citizenship, had moved into the hotel where the team were staying on April 9, taking a room on the top floor with a view of the spot where the explosion occurred.
Police had originally believed that Islamists might have been behind the attack, particularly after the discovery of three letters claiming responsibility that used Islamist terminology and suggested a connection to the so-called Islamic State (Daesh).
Following the attack on the coach, police in Germany raised the terror threat level – citing fears of more attacks on high-profile events.
The federal Bundeskriminalamt (BKA) raised the country’s official alarm rating to the second-highest on Friday (April 14).
The move was prompted by the belief that suspects are still at large, have advanced bomb-making skills and are willing to hit major targets for maximum publicity.
The BKA Criminal Police Office has included all football games and concerts in the catch-all directive.
The Dortmund attack comes in the wake of growing tensions of new outbreaks of domestic terrorism in Germany, following an incident in December when a Tunisian asylum-seeker drove a truck into a crowd at a Christmas market in Berlin, killing 12 people. The attack was later claimed by Daesh.
Terrorism and domestic security are likely to be big themes in the German federal elections in September.