Login: Email AddressPassword

Man dies after being Tasered by police
24 Aug 2011

A Bolton man who barricaded himself in his home has died after he was Tasered by police.

Officers from Greater Manchester Police (GMP) attended an incident last night following reports in which Philip Hulmes had barricaded himself in his home with a knife and had stabbed himself.

After being threatened by the 53-year-old, officers managed to gain entry into the house and deployed a Taser. However, after it was deployed, it became apparent he had a serious self-inflicted stab wound to his abdomen, a GMP spokesperson said.

Mr Hulmes was taken to the Royal Bolton Hospital where he died about half an hour later.
The coroner has been informed and an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death has been launched by the force’s Professional Standards Branch. A Home Office post-mortem examination is also due to be carried out later today.

The incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
Mr Hulmes is the second man to have died in less than two weeks after being Tasered by police. Last week, officers from Cumbria Constabulary were called to an address where police attempted to arrest Dale Burns on suspicion of causing criminal damage at a flat. During the arrest one officer discharged a Taser at the 27-year-old a number of times. Another officer deployed pepper spray.

He became unwell following the arrest and was taken to Furness General Hospital but was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.

The incident is also being investigated by the IPCC. However, the IPCC added that there have so far been no incidents where the use of a Taser has directly resulted in a person’s death. In the case of Raoul Moat in July 2010, although he died of a self inflicted gun shot wound to the head, it investigated whether the police use of a Taser contributed to his action.

A death in Durham was also referred in 2006; following an independent assessment and the opinion of the pathologist, it was concluded that there was no causal connection with use of the Taser, and subsequently referred back for local investigation.


Copyright © 2015 Police Professional
Terms & Conditions website by 64 Digital